Purpose: Estimate the body’s ability to deliver oxygen to determine cardiovascular fitness level.
Equipment: Cycle ergometer, heart rate monitor, stopwatch, and blood pressure monitor
Procedure: The goal of assessment is for the subject to achieve two consecutive workloads where the heart rate is between 110 bpm and 85% of age-predicted max heart rate. The minimum time for the test is 6 minutes and the maximum is 12 minutes.
Allow the subject to warm‐up on the cycle ergometer for 2 to 3 minutes with a resistance of 0 kg and an RPM of 50.
Start the first workload (3 min @ 150 kg/min, 0.5 kg, 50 RPM):
- Record HR at 2:00 min
- Measure BP from 2:00 to 3:00 min
- Record RPE at 2:45 min
- Record HR at 3:00 min
- If the 2:00 and 3:00 HR’s are not within 5 bpm, add a 4th minute to this stage and record HR at 4:00 min
- Based on the HR at 3:00 min (or 4:00 min if you had to extend the stage), adjust the workload appropriately and follow these same instructions for the next stages.
After the test is finished, record:
- After the test is finished, record:
- Record heart rate and blood pressure at the end of the 3 minutes
- 2 to 3 minute seated Passive Recovery
Record heart rate and blood pressure at end of passive recovery