Purpose: Estimate body fat % based on measurements of subcutaneous fat.
Equipment: Skinfold caliper
Procedure: Measurements are taken on the right side of body. Caliber needs to be perpendicular to the site analyzed. The participant must relax the muscle group that is being assessed. When skin fold is pinched, the practitioner should be taking reading at the middle of the pinched skin, not apex or base. Wait 1 to 2 seconds after releasing caliber, record closest 0.5mm. Retake each site in order to obtain accurate readings.
- Tricep: vertical fold at the midpoint of the posterior side of tricep between shoulder and elbow with arm relaxed at the side.
- Bicep: vertical fold at the midpoint of the anterior side of bicep between shoulder and elbow with arm relaxed at the side.
- Chest: diagonal fold half the distance between anterior axillary line and the nipple.
- Sub-scapular: diagonal fold 2cm from inferior angle of the scapula.
- Mid-axillary: at mid-axillary line horizontal to xiphoid process of the sternum.
- Abdominal: vertical fold 2cm to the right of the navel
- Supra-iliac: diagonal fold parallel and superior to the iliac crest.
- Thigh: midpoint of the anterior side of the upper leg between the patella and top of thigh.