Purpose: Assess and compare posterior chain strength and anterior flexibility to healthy norms.
Equipment: Yardstick or 12 inch rule, tape.
Procedure: Before testing allow participant to adequately stretch as well as perform moderate aerobic exercise. Consult with the participant about any past muscular problems in their back.
- The client lays face down position, with lower body relaxed and hands placed under or to the side of thighs.
- To maintain spinal alignment, instruct client to maintain focus on the floor with chin tucked.
- The client lifts their upper body off the floor, to a maximum height of 12 inches.
- The measurement is the distance from the floor to the student’s chin.
- Two trials are allowed, with the best score recorded.