Purpose: The shoulder mobility movement pattern demonstrates the synergy between scapular-thoracic region, spine, and rib cage. This screen evaluates bilateral shoulder range of motion; combining flexion, external rotation and abduction of the performing shoulder and extension, internal rotation and adduction in the other.
Equipment: Screening Kit
Procedure: (Note: Perform the Impingement Clearing Test before proceeding.)
- Impingement Clearing Test: Instruct the client to place their palm on their opposite shoulder and lift the elbow as high as possible.
- Determine the client’s hand length by measuring the distance from the bottom of the wrist to the tip of the longest finger.
- Instruct him/her to stand with their feet together and make a fist with both hands.
- Instruct the client to reach one fist behind their head and the other behind their back, with the goal of touching both fists together.
- Measure the distance between the two closest points of the client's fists to determine reach.
- Perform test on each side 3 times and record best score.
0. Pain is associated while performing the movement
1. Fists are not within one and half hand lengths
2. Fists are within one-and-a-half hand lengths
3. Fists are within one hand length